This red stone smoke house with racks for hanging meats and a rough wooden door is built into a hillside between the Chapel and the Brewery and is on its original site. The inside walls are still black from the smoke from fires that burned inside.
The Smoke House was built during the late 1800’s by Leonhard Summer and was one of his several business interests. It supplied his grocery and butcher shop with smoked bacon, hams and sausages.
The meat was cured by smoke from burning wood chips. The chips would be chopped from green wood along with tiny bits of bark and moss. This would cause the fire to smolder slowly. One could smell the smoke coming out through the cracks. When the smoke stopped coming out, the meat would be ready to eat.