This log building was constructed in 1862 in what was then the county seat of Buckskin Joe. In 1867, a county election declared Fairplay the new county seat, and the structure was moved. Over 100 years later, in the summer of 1978, Park County's original Court House finally came to rest in South Park City, to be completely restored inside and out. Here a deputy sheriff, H.A.W. Tabor, who was later to find his fortune in silver, carried out the law. Frontier justice of the time was short, and punishment many times meant death, with public hangings the accepted method used to carry out a death sentence. If it were not for these early courts, the West would have become a lawless society!